Like wine, Aperitif is usually served before a meal. Aperitif typically stimulates appetite and can be served alone or with bread, antipasti or cheese. Moreover, many Aperitifs are wine based beverages; however others are liqueurs like vermouth. Aperitifs are delicious pre-dinner drinks. Some of the most common Aperitifs include sherry, champagne, prosecco, cava, ouzo, Campari, lillet and pernod. Aperitifs arose from European culinary traditions. Light and refreshing beverages were meant for stimulating senses so as to provide an enticing peak ahead of meals. Italy, France & Spain offer traditional versions of Aperitifs which have now found their way to United States and other parts of the world.
White Wine Aperitif Recommendations
Still and dry white wines are some of the best and most popular Aperitifs. These white wine Aperitifs are served lightly chilled along with light appetizers, olives, crackers and cheese. Some of the most popular Aperitifs are enumerated below.
- Sauvignon Blanc – Naked un-oaked Sauvignon Blanc is a refreshing Aperitif featuring notes of lime, tangerine, jasmine and fruity flavors like pineapple and grapefruit.
- White Bordeaux – Clos du Roy Bordeaux Blanc is a dry white wine which is easy to drink. This White Bordeaux is soft white and is dry and having floral and fruity notes.
- Chablis – A sweet white wine which can be served chilled. Chablis has a clean finish and high citrus notes.
- Rieslings – Crisp and a bit dry with hints of fruit, Kendall Jackson’s Riesling Vintner’s Reserve 2010 features notes of honeysuckle along with peach and apricot flavors. Rieslings are highly aromatic and never overpowering.
Rose Aperitif Recommendations
Rose wines also make for some great Aperitifs. Ranging in colors from light pink to deep salmon, Rose Aperitifs are simple yet contain refreshing flavor. Rose Aperitifs are perfect start for any meal and have slightly fruity notes. Rose Aperitifs pair exceptionally well with barbeque, pizza, grilled foods and fresh fruits. Here are some Rose Aperitifs to check out.
- Sutter Home Pink Moscato – With a hint of vanilla along with honeydew, passion fruit and fresh berries, Sutter Home Pink Moscato is worth the name it carries.
- Menage a Trois Rose – A smooth wine featuring flavors of flowers, lychee nuts, strawberries and raspberries, Menage a Trois Rose is a great appetizer.
Aperitif for that Perfect Start
Aperitifs are great for stimulating appetite before large meals. They provide a perfect start at parties and can also be enjoyed outdoors on a warm & sunny day or by fire on a cool night. Aperitifs are beverages which are light and refreshing and are extremely delightful to sip while waiting for a meal.